Friday 28 July 2017

It Keeps On Keeping On.

In which The Author goes on a mini-tour of South Wales
I know it's been quite a while since I updated you on my involvement with the Anthony Nolan Trust, for which I apologise. I've been busy with a few projects which have taken up a lot of my time. That doesn't mean that the fund-raising is on hold, though. Quite the opposite.
About a month ago, I had a message from Fay at the Brunel Arms in Pontyclun to say that their collection box was full. (In fact, she'd had to take it off the bar because it was bursting at the seams.) It was an excuse for a trip across the old county of Mid Glamorgan to check the situation out. Since my last visit in the autumn (see Just Another Weird Wednesday), the regulars had managed to raise £31, taking their total to a handsome £91.35.
The plethora of sport over the past six months (the 6 Nations, Wimbledon, the cricket, the British Lions tour, the Open golf championship, as well as the ever-present football) has helped to swell the coffers in the pubs, of course. The one in the Lighthouse might have lasted the weekend, but with the Welsh National Motorcycle Races taking place in Aberdare Park tomorrow and Sunday, I decided not to take any chances. I've paid it in three times since the start of December, but today's contribution of £21 took their total to a creditable £110.
I've yet to call into the Pagoda takeaway, a mere dust cap's throw from the main gates of the park. Their total currently stands at £84.60, and it's long overdue for a check-up. I'll probably go in on Monday and see how the land lies.
One of the newest kids on the block is also within easy walking distance of the park. I placed a box in the Hot Pot Fish Bar in Trecynon a few months ago, and paid a whopping £39 in this afternoon. I don't think Fatima could quite believe it when I emptied it over the table – and it was only just over half full. She was a bit sceptical at first, saying people were only putting coppers in. In the event, I was able to make up a single full bag of 2p pieces, and the pennies only totalled about 50p. The rest was silver and pound coins. I don't know whether the Qu'ran has a saying equivalent to 'Ye of little faith', but it did come to mind when I told her the final figure.
I've pencilled in a visit to Ebbw Vale some time next month, depending on when Rebecca C. is working, so I can have a sitrep on the collection box in the Bridge. Last time I checked, there was more foreign currency than sterling. We found that rather amusing, considering that Ebbw Vale isn't the most cosmopolitan of towns. The pub isn't even on the way from anywhere to anywhere else, so probably wouldn't pull in a huge number of overseas visitors. We decided to relocate it from the bar into the restaurant to see if things would pick up. Watch this space …
I know they had a head start on everyone else, but the runaway winners so far are still the Glosters in Aberdare. I paid in another £34 this afternoon, and that finally tipped them over the £400 mark – £416.59, in fact.
The rest – the Vapour Den, Dare Valley Cycles and Servini's Restaurant in Aberdare, the Bonki in Cwmaman, and the Commercial Inn in Cilfynydd ‒ are probably safe until mid-October. That's when the original designs of the pound coins cease to be legal tender. By then, they'll have pretty much vanished from general circulation. You'll still be able to pay them into the banks, of course, but you won't be able to spend them anywhere. It seems like the perfect opportunity to do the circuit again and make sure everything's in good order for the autumn rugby and the run-up to Xmas.
By that time, I hope to have at least another two boxes in place. My good friend Vickie B. has just opened a cafe and cake shop in Mountain Ash, a few miles to the south of us. I approached her this afternoon and she's happy to play host to a box. I've got another couple of irons in the fire as well. I've set myself a little challenge, to see if I can get twenty boxes ticking over by my next birthday. I think it's quite achievable, myself. I'm looking after a dozen already, and there are still a number of business friends I haven't sounded out yet.
Bear in mind that the boxes themselves don't take up much more room than a pint glass, don't need any looking after apart from my occasional visits, and don't demand any physical effort – unlike, say, a sporting event, which (in Wales, anyway) is almost guaranteed to be rained off after considerable preparation. As Mams would have said, they don't eat or drink. They just sit on the counter/bar and everyone else does the heavy lifting. It's an effortless way of raising money for an incredibly worthwhile charity.
Oh – I nearly forgot. You're probably wondering what my overall total is. I've just checked, and I've surprised myself: £768.54. Not bad going, is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you've enjoyed this (or if you haven't), please let me know ...